Privacy Online Blog #9


What private information do you give to your phone and computer? I have given my G-Mail, my address, my credit card information, my thumb print, and so many other personal things that I should reserve for only myself. Yet, I gave away so much personal information without any thought. Not only do I give up this information to just my personal electronic devices, but also to many websites and social media platforms.
I have never given much thought to privacy online because all of my accounts are private and I keep my location services off. The more I have researched, I learned that none of that matters. All of my information can be found on the internet with in a few seconds. There are programs with facial recognition that can quickly identify me and link me to other personal things about. 

I do not like the idea that Apple and Google have every detail for my life for at least the past decade documented and saved somewhere. My life has never had any privacy, even when I thought I did. My apps have been tracking me, my computer saves and sells my searches and other data, and everything I have ever posted will live on the internet forever. 

The worst part about learning all of this, is that I was so unaware and so willing to hand out all of my information. I never second guess giving out my E-mail or phone number to websites or on social media. I have basically invited everyone to know everything about me. I am definitely going to be more cautious when asked for my information from now on, but it's already out there and probably not too hard to find.







Although I have talked about many negative things in relation to online privacy, there is one benefit to the internet selling our information. ADS! As an avid online shopper, I love when I get advertisements for new websites to browse or when new styles are dropped. I spend more time on Instagram looking at the advertisements for new clothes or products than I do looking at thee actual content people are posting.

A lot of people complain about these types of advertisements, but I love them. Privacy online is nonexistent but I have found a bright side to it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lives Matter Blog #3

EOTO The Camera Phone Blog #6

Where I Get My News Blog #1